Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Review : Witchlanders by Lena Coakley




High in their mountain covens, red witches pray to the Goddess, protecting the Witchlands by throwing the bones and foretelling the future
 It’s all a fake.
At least, that’s what Ryder thinks. He doubts the witches really deserve their tithes—one quarter of all the crops his village can produce. And even if they can predict the future, what danger is there to foretell, now that his people’s old enemy, the Baen, has been defeated?
But when a terrifying new magic threatens both his village and the coven, Ryder must confront the beautiful and silent witch who holds all the secrets. Everything he’s ever believed about witches, the Baen, magic and about himself will change, when he discovers that the prophecies he’s always scorned—
Are about him. 

 


First Line:
Ryder woke to the sound of clattering bones.

My Thoughts:

Okay. Deep breath. Exhale. Calm.

I totally, utterly and completely loved this book.!!

I think this is the first YA book I've read in a long, long time that has no romance in it whatsoever and boy, am I glad for that. I might be a little partial due that as I like the mushy stuff to be low or altogether absent in books. But I stand by my original declaration! This is an awesome book in its own right! 

What makes it so great in my view, you will ask? Everything. Just everything about it. The world building is perfect. It's an utterly unique, fresh idea. As far as I can see, it isn't rooted in folklore or mythology of any sort and that is one thing that I always admire in a book. I can't help but be in complete awe with the author's superb skills at building this alternate universe.

I loved the two main characters, Ryder and Falpian. Even though they were great characters on their own, I just wish the author would have made them stand out more as individuals with differences other than their physical appearance. I understand the author would want to make them appear to be a rather similar pair given *ahem* what they are (don't want to give away too much here so I'm going to  be sounding vague) but a couple of more stark difference between the two would've been nice. I would've expected some arrogance in Falpian and some rustic bumbling by Ryder, given their upbringing.

As I said before, the world is totally new. Its like nothing I've ever read before and the whole premise intrigued me from the minute I read the synopsis.I love the fact that the author keeps the suspense up till the very end, dropping little bits of information through the book, alternately from Ryder and Falpian and its all done so subtly, you have loads of information about the Witchlanders and the Baen without you realizing it. Nope, no huge info dump-and-process sessions here. Even then, until the very last page , you're wondering about what will happen to the characters.

When I picked up the book, I hadn't expected and second character so important to the story. The synopsis, the trailer, nothing hints towards it. I'd expected a war maybe, and a story from only one viewpoint, the Witchlanders'. When the synopis said "Baen", I hadn't thought of a still existing race of nothing more than humans with a different appearance and different forms of magic. Needless to say, (I'm saying this rather often, no?) Witchlanders left me pleasantly surprised with how the story turned out to be and also left me one very, very satisfied reader.


Book Trailer for Witchlanders:






No comments:

Post a Comment