Monday, September 19, 2011

Review : Blood Song (Lharmell #1) by Rhiannon Hart


When her sister becomes betrothed to a prince in a northern nation, Zeraphina’s only consolations are that her loyal animal companions are by her side – and that her burning hunger to travel north is finally being sated.

Already her black hair and pale eyes mark her out as different, but now Zeraphina must be even more careful to keep her secret safe. Craving blood is not considered normal behaviour for anyone, let alone a princess. So when the king’s advisor, Rodden, seems to know more about her condition than she does, Zeraphina is determined to find out more.

Zeraphina must be willing to sacrifice everything if she’s to uncover the truth – but what if the truth is beyond her worst nightmares?






First Line:
I was thinking of blood again so I went to practice my archery.

Zeraphina is the princess of Amentia, younger daughter of Queen Renata. When her sister is betrothed to a prince of a prosperous nation in the North, she is ecstatic. Her yearning to go North, to be finally able to discover why something from there calls to her so deeply is finally being fulfilled. To be able to find out about the disease she contracted that changed her appearance. To know more about the unspoken lands of Lharmell.

My Thoughts : 

I'll admit that the premise of the book sounded rather intriguing. I can't resist a book set in a different realm or universe and the cover, the blurb all hinted towards a dark, mystic storyline, yet another thing I can't resist. Also, I loved the new names. Lharmell. Zeraphina. Again, very very mysterious. 

I got into the book pretty quickly. The first few chapters were probably the best in the whole book. The eerie phantom in her room, the North calling to her, a  promise of something dark to come - it was all there. There's little that I want in a book if all those aspects are present; but soon, it just wasn't enough. 

Zeraphina went North, spent a good amount of time in the palace there, yet discovered nothing. It wasn't as if she wasn't looking for information, nope. Rather, it's quite strongly strongly portrayed that she's quite desperately looking for something that will lead her to answers. Yet, her search seems entirely futile. I couldn't see a pattern or basis for her searches and her instant dislike of Rodden -  who seemed like nothing more than a somewhat-creepy, not too friendly guy -  threw me off.  I felt like there was something lacking or there was some part if the story that I was entirely missing. I couldn't figure out reasons behind Zeraphina's thoughts, why she was so fixated on the feeling that Rodden had something to hide.

I don't know what exactly to make of this book. Yes, I liked the it. The writing was excellent and the world was entirely different, curious concept. The idea was excellent. The creatures aren't anything like you would have read before. All in all, it has all the makings for a wonderful, enthralling read. There first couple of chapters drew me in and held me there. It was intriguing. It was compelling. And then slowly, things seemed to deflate. I just couldn't figure things out. A t the end,(which, by the way, seemed really abrupt and a huge torrent of information that should've probably been explained in bits throughout the book), I couldn't make out what had happened. Uh, I should stop saying that.

Maybe it was all me, and I wasn't reading closely enough to see something that was probably staring me right in the face, which would've been a very  "me" thing to do. My thoughts about this book are rather conflicted, but all things considered, it was a good read.

   

About The Author:

Rhiannon Hart
Rhiannon Hart remembers writing before she could read, puzzling over the strange squiggles in Jeremiah and the Dark Woods by Janet and Alan Ahlberg and putting her own words in their places. Her first love was Jareth the Goblin King at the tender age of eight. She wrote fan fiction in high school but she'd never admit to it out loud, so don't ask. When she's not reading or writing she is belly dancing, chasing after other people's cats, or putting the pedal to the floor at her sewing machine. She grew up in north-western Australia and currently resides in Melbourne, where she works in marketing. Rhiannon has been published in the Australian Book Review, Magpies and Viewpoint and blogs at http://rhiannon-hart.blogspot.com/. She is currently writing further books in the LHARMELL series.






No comments:

Post a Comment